N/R: 6 rooms burnt in a fire outbreak in Zogbeli

N/R: 6 rooms burnt in a fire outbreak in Zogbeli

Over 6 rooms have completely been destroyed after fire gutted a house near Zola in Zogbeli in the Tamale Metropolis destroying properties worth thousands of Ghana cedis.

 

The fire which started around 10pm on Tuesday night is said to have been triggered by a faulty socket in the room of the acting caretaker of the house. Mr. Iddrisu Abdullai who confirmed the news to Sagani TV attributed the incident to electrical fault in his room.

Neighbors around the area managed to control the blazing flame before Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) arrived some 20 minutes later. The GNFS however managed to bring the situation under control until it spread to other areas of the house.

Various items including; fridge, televisions sets, mobile phones, air conditioners, microwave, burner and other combustible materials were consumed to ashes by the fire.

Among other properties including king and queen size mattresses, certificates, stationeries, school uniforms, bags and a cash of 5,000 Ghana cedis were all burnt.

An eye witness Mr. Iddrisu said; “the fire all started in my room, it was around 10 pm when smoke started coming out from my 'lining chair'.

By then my wife was sleeping so she quickly woke the children and match them outside and cried for help, before the crowed came in, the fire was climbing from the wall to the ceiling.

That was how it got to the ceiling and started burning the house"

In an interview with Sagani TV, GNFS officer for Sanarigu, SO1 Joseph Amoro bemoaned the extent of damage to lack of access to the fire scene when they arrived.

"The main problem we were having was access. Having access inside to fight the fire was our problem. But we were able to lay about 4 hoses to the fire scene to fight the fire."

According to him, the GNFS team had to spend several hours to get to the fire scene because residents have extended their wash rooms and corridor on ways that could have given easy access to the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).

"The way they create their bath rooms create problems for us. Because those spaces are always left for emergency vehicles like ambulance, fire and police service"

 

Source: Abdul-Mumin Abdul-Razak